Cycling Advocacy Opportunities & Events
ACTION ALERT – BICYCLE SAFETY BILL
Please take a couple minutes to help Ride Illinois pass our state bicycle bill to legalize three common practices and clarify one law. House Bill 1784 would:
1) Allow motorists to pass bikes in a no-passing zone under certain conditions to improve cyclist safety.
2) Officially legalize bicycling on road shoulders, but not require it.
3) Allow bicyclists to use a rear light without also using a rear reflector.
4) Clarify the bicyclist lane position law, when the lane is too narrow for a car to pass with 3+ feet clearance.
Click here for details on how you can encourage your state representatives to support this important bill.
Walk In Bike Out 2017 – Update and BIG NEWS
Yo Bike Workers,
It’s time to start planning for our 2017 WalkIn-BikeOut work schedule. This is always an exciting time – the enthusiasm for bike related projects continues to be solid. We already have several hundred bikes in the work area with 50 or so finished and ready for the giveaway event on April 22. (More about that as we get closer to the date.)
We will continue working out of the Creativity Center, 107 E Chestnut St. [map it] Enter through the door on the south-side of the building and follow the signs. Our work space remains in the first floor location.
- Feel free to share this information with others – we want to expand the circle of folks working on this project. Some of the tasks are technical but there are always less technical tasks; such as cleaning the bikes to make them look almost as good as new. This is a time to hone our skills and share knowledge with each other.
WIBO 2017 work schedule for
January, Feb, March and April:
The first bike work day is Tuesday January 17th 6:00 to 8:00 PM.
- Tuesday 1/17, 1/24, 1/31, 2/7, 2/14, 2/21, 2/28, 3/7, 3/14, 3/21, 3/28, 4/4, 4/11, 4/18 6:00 to 8:00pm
- Wednesday 1/18, 1/25, 2/1, 2/8, 2/15, 2/22, 3/1, 3/8, 3/15, 3/22, 3/29, 4/5, 4/12, 4/19, 6:00 to 8:00pm
- Thursday 1/19, 1/26, 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/2, 3/9, 3/16, 3/23, 3/30, 4/6, 4/13, 4/20 6:00 to 8:00pm
- Saturday 1/21, 1/28, 2/4, 2/12, 2/19, 2/26, 3/4, 3/11, 3/18, 3/25, 4/1, 4/15 9:00am to 1:00pm No bike work on April 8th, we will be at the Sustainability Exposition at IWU that day.
- Come when your schedule allows. This is a learner friendly project to benefit the whole community.
- As you can imagine there is lots to do in the next 4 months but it is possible. Many of the bikes need only minor adjustments and repair.
Bring tools for the bike work and other things that you may need. We have more new parts this year (cables, reflectors, shifters, handle grips & brake pads) and tubes for the bikes. We have 6 bike stands to share also.
A few of us have been meeting to discuss a local Bike Co-op. The big news is that an offer has been accepted by the owners of the Jesus Coffeehouse to purchase their building at the corner of Washington & Allin [map it] in west Bloomington. (Some of you may remember years ago when it was Eddie’s Market) This space will be shared by the West Bloomington Revitalization Project Tool Library and the planned Bike Co-op. Stayed tuned!
Thanks and hope to see you soon. Let me know if you would like to be removed from this email group.
West Bloomington Revitalization Project
Walk In-Bike Out program