2020 Solo Spring Metric
Thanks to all who rode last week during the 2020 Solo Spring Metric at Comlara Park. Great turnout on Saturday on a wonderful day for cycling! Good to see some many enthusiastic riders. And a special thanks to those who made an optional donation to our advocacy program — much appreciated. Kudos to those who completed the Spring Training Challenge. Training works! The t-shirts are in the works with expected delivery near the end of the month. Watch for details and bicycle delivery!
If you missed the ride, we’ll be back next year and hope to see you then!
2020 Dates and Time Options
- Anytime the week of June 7 – 14, 2020: Choose your best weather day — No rain-out!
- Comlara Park, June 13. 7:00 a.m. – noon only there will be a Wheeler “greeter” near the Spruce Shelter with water, waves, encouragement, a big route map, and hand sanitizer.
- Start from Home: If you don’t like to drive to ride, you can start wherever you’d like and ride whatever distance you want. This option can work for both the 3X3X7 challenge (ride any distance) or the 4/40/40 challenge (ride 40 or more miles in one day). See route maps for more options.
- Comlara Park: The three (3) traditional Spring Metric routes start and end at Comlara Park Spruce Shelter parking area. If you ride all three, you will have completed a Metric Century of 100 km (about 62 miles). Routes are all marked with white arrows. Ride Comlara routes anytime, however Wheeler “greeter only present on Saturday morning, June 13. Comlara route maps (below) can be printed or downloaded to your navigation device.
All routes are unsupported. No SAG support or bike maintenance available. Please make sure that you arrange for an emergency contact who can assist if needed.
Photo Stops – Document Your Ride!
- For Comlara route riders on the morning of Saturday, June 13: Each of the three routes will have a safe photo stop with signage and pavement markings (as of June 7). Take a photo of yourself (and your bike!) at each photo stop and post to Strava, Facebook or Instagram. #2020SoloSpringMetric. The photo stops are located at:
- For Comlara routes at other times there are pavement markings as indicated above.
- For non-Comlara routes: Take a photo of you and your bike at any safe and recognizable road marker, landmark, or business and post to Strava, Facebook, or Instagram.
Registration June 1 – June 14
- Registration is FREE with options make a donation to our bicycle advocacy program and purchase a unique one-time only, we hope, Wheeler 2020 Solo Spring Metric t-shirt for only $15. All donations and proceeds from t-shirts will go to advocacy.
- All registered riders who complete and post routes and photos on Strava, Facebook, or Instagram by Sunday, June 14, 2020 will be eligible for a prize drawing.
- Secure website payments are managed by PayPal.
- Liability waiver is a requirement of ride registration.
- Purchased t-shirts will be delivered by bicycle in Bloomington-Normal or available for pick at a time and location TBD.
- Please maintain social distance. Not hard if you are riding single file which is the safest way to ride the roads. After June 1, 2020, the Phase 3 recommendations are to
ride solo or in a group of no more than 10 people (the smaller the better).
- Face Masks: We recommend carrying a face mask in case it’s needed for something such as assisting others with bike repairs. Ride Illinois recommends wearing a face mask if strict adherence to social distancing guidelines is not possible. Note that 6 feet may not be sufficient social distancing when cycling due to factors such as speed, weather, and proximity to others. For further updates, see RideIllinois.
Route Maps 1, 2, & 3 linked to Ride with GPS
Route Maps to Download and Print (pdf):
Our 2019 Metric Ride Sponsors – THANK YOU!!